Built as Calvary Gospel Tabernacle, Rev. Claude Harris obeyed the call of God and moved his family to Kankakee, Illinois to pioneer this new work.
Upon arrival in Kankakee, he rented a small store front at 522 Cypress Street which was between two taverns. There were 17 in attendance that first service. This was a building with a sanctuary that had 96 theater seats and a parsonage attached at the back of the building for the pastor's family.
Calvary Gospel Tabernacle changed its name to The Peoples Older church members remember people stopping in during church services, mistaking it for a tavern, only to find themselves in a church. In 1954, the church purchased a building at 574 North Cottage Ave. in Kankakee. Center Road between Bourbonnais and Manteno.
In August of 2001, Peoples Church purchased 20 acres of farmland on Career Center Road between Bourbonnais and Manteno. In May of 2003, the church embarked on a new adventure when they sold their building on Pierson Parkway and began holding their services in rented meeting rooms at the Quality Inn in Bradley, Illinois. The church experienced considerable growth while at the Quality Inn.
The church embarked on a new adventure when they sold their building on Pierson Parkway and began holding their services in rented meeting rooms at Church after purchasing a larger building at 1877 Pierson Parkway in Kankakee in the fall of 1969.
The church held a groundbreaking service on the farm land they had purchased for their future church building. They then moved into their new building and held the first service on March 9th, 2008.
We built our Legacy Center! This addition to our campus houses teaching and fellowship spaces for all ages!
Peoples Church exists to lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
Love God. Love People. Serve People.